Windows 10 - freezing since update

Anyone else been dealing with Windows 10 issues, especially since installing the update last week? I’ve had a few computers that would either freeze while logging in or freeze up spontaneously later to the point that you can’t even get to the task manager. Computers that were fine until the last update. Any tips?

I would uninstall the updates. Then see if the PCs are freezing up after uninstalling the updates.

Thanks. Yep. Did that. It wasn’t easy. After a few forced power-down’s, I was eventually able to get in enough to uninstall the last update and things have seemed to be fine since then. But, is there an easier way? Will the issue come back when Windows Update runs again? Am I really the only one that has run into this this week?

I’ve seen a couple different issues, and that is one of them. While I haven’t tried this yet, I’ve been enocuraged to uninstall my anti-virus, reboot and then reinstall. An associate said that was what they needed to do.

I have not heard of any frozen PCs yet

I haven’t had any reports of my Win10 devices, but I did have a Server 2008R2 that is my File Server locking up every 12 hours after installing the April 9th security update. Had to boot into Safe Mode, disable AV, uninstall the Update, then reboot. After that I black-listed kb4493472 on my patch management system.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4493472/windows-7-update-kb4493472

Ditto on 2008 R2 and 2 of my 4 Win 7 that I released the update to. I was able to just uninstall the offending update and things seem fine. I installed the April update on my test group (all Win 10 1809) and half of my first ring (a mix of 1803 and 1809). I have not had any reports of Win 10 freezing.

It might be the antivirus, certain ones like Sophos are having all kinds of issues with the patches this month.

The update might be affecting your antivirus.

I am using Bitdefender. No issues with the update.

We had a Server locking up regularly, with Server 2008 Datacenter… I got this word from our Antivirus provider (ThirtySeven4). I have just applied it, so I can’t be sure, but this may help on many platforms.
Hello Marvin,

The issue is a result of a Microsoft Windows Security Update, which affected all antivirus scanners (i.e. Sophos, AVG, Avast, Thirtyseven4 and others).

This is not a result of a Thirtyseven4 false positive or similar. This was a faulty Microsoft Security update release.

However, we do apologize for any inconveniences that you are experiencing, and we are working with and awaiting updates from Microsoft.

The temporary solution is:

If you have performed the update but have yet to reboot, we recommend removing the update prior to rebooting.

KB4493467 & KB4493446 - Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2

KB4493450 & KB4493451 - Windows Server 2012, Windows Embedded 8 Standard

KB4493448 & KB4493472 - Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1

Windows 10 1709: KB4493441

Windows 10 1803: KB4493464

Windows 10 1809: KB4493509

Windows 10 1903: KB4495666

Example:

Steps to remove KB4493509

1. Boot/start system in Safe Mode with Networking

2. Open Start > Search for Command Prompt, right-click the top result, and select Run as administrator.

3. Type the following command to remove the update and press Enter:

wusa /uninstall /kb:4493509

Sincerely,

James

James Long III

Support@Thirtyseven4.com

Thirtyseven4, LLC

1 Like

Thanks for this. We use ThirtySeven4 too and still have a lot of Windows 7 Pro machines. Those have been the one’s I’ve seen this issue on the most.
I followed these steps and am manually removing these patches from critical systems.

My server that was crashing multiple times daily has been fine since I removed the appropriate kb. I’m glad the information helped.
Marvin

According to users, random computer freezing usually appears after Windows 10 update . And the reason might be incompatibility of hardware and drivers. To correct it, just update all device drivers. Select Windows Update in the left pane and click "Check for updates " (make sure you have an active Internet connection).