We are currently building out our mobile app using eChurch (part of Pushpay). For those who aren’t aware, Pushpay acquired the church mobile app portion of the second largest church mobile app builder (Bluebridge, Subsplash is the largest). I figured it might be helpful to others to outline the different things in the app I’d like to see enhanced or added in the near future. I know I always like to know the limitations of software I’m planning on using, not necessarily so I can choose a different application, but so I can plan for the limitations or challenges I may experience.
Pending Changes - One is able to make a number of changes to one’s mobile app and then “publish” them. However, there is currently no way to view a list of the pending changes (to see what one is publishing) and no way to edit the list of pending pages (it would be great to be able to remove various changes before publishing).
– Note that when you publish changes you are publishing changes made by every user with access to your account, not just the changes you yourself have made. It is important to ensure no one else is in the middle of changing something that you then accidentally push into production.
- Versioning - Currently there is no way to view past iterations of the app, to revert to older iterations of the app, etc. I don’t know about you, but this makes me very nervous! I’m used to being able to hose things up and go back to a last good config. I haven’t talked to them about whether this is possible from their end, but doesn’t seem to be possible from the users end.
- Backups - I’m sure that Pushpay/eChurch do all sorts of backups on the mobile app content - but I sure would like to be able to download a copy! That’s text, images, links, layout, and configuration.
Hiding Content - Right now if one adds content to the app it becomes visible. There is no way to hide content temporarily. In our use case the issue I’m running into is making drafts of content, deciding it isn’t ideal and creating another draft. The original draft has to be deleted or the content has to appear duplicated in the app to the end user - not an ideal experience.
– What I’ve taken to doing is burying a container within other containers where it is less likely to be seen and keeping the old draft content in this folder, in case I decide to go back to it.
Scheduling Updates - There is currently no way to schedule when an update will be released. This means if you have content you want to go live at midnight on February 1st, you have to be up at midnight on February 1st or let it post earlier.
– Also, if you make an update after making content you want to go live at a specific time, you can’t publish just a select update, everything will be published.
Fuller CCB Integration - Right now one can integrate with CCB, but the integration provides pretty basic functionality - the ability to pull in the calendar feed and the ability to search groups. Both of these functions could be provided by using a webview and the UI for groups is fairly simply styled.
– I’d like to see eChurch integrate with the CCB authentication system.
– I’d like to see eChurch integrate with CCB forms.
– I’d like to see more completely styled UI for groups.
– I don’t know what Events looks like, it isn’t returning anything currently (apparently this is something on our end…still figuring out what).
– Currently the integration has to be performed entirely on eChurch’s side, there is no UI for the implementation on the user side, would be great to be able to perform the integration ourselves.
I’ll add more items as I find them. Are you using Pushpay for your church app? If so, have you run into any limitations I should be aware of?