I know this question gets asked frequently but every network is different.
We have tried and tried to make our Meraki MX84 work for our network and it has let us down again. Our main issues are on failover between WAN1 and WAN2 and the traffic shaping policies just not working correctly. When we had Sonicwall I had much more granularity on how I wanted to shape traffic and how I wanted failover to work. These are the primary things I’m looking for.
- Advanced Traffic Shaping (that works) and ability to shape/limit at Layer 7 as well
- Failover that allows me to choose what I want to fail over (not all or nothing). I’m fine if in a fail over situation if the guest wi-fi doesn’t work.
- Central web management for multiple firewalls
- Performance monitoring - We had WhatsUp Gold before with Cisco and Sonicwall but it didn’t work on Meraki. I’d like something similar built into the firewall.
- More performance - I don’t want to have to buy 2 or 3 x the size box that I need just to turn on the features I pay for or be told that I need a larger device to handle the traffic.
- SD WAN
- Easy site to site VPN (Like Meraki)
- Solid reliability - I need good hardware and software reliability. We haven’t run hot standby and it’s going to be hard for me to justify the jump to two units, but I’ll do it if the price is right.
Right now I’m just looking to replace the 2 MX84’s that I have but may replace the 6 other MX64’s if it works out well.
Right now this is our setup for each campus:
- 200-300 clients max at any given time.
- Lots of Dropbox traffic on the weekend that I need to manage and not take all bandwidth
- Living as One broadcasting and receiving at site.
- 50 x 50 Mbps Comcast Fiber (mainly for Living as One. Will be upgrading bandwidth soon)
- 100 x 20 Mbps Comcast Coax (everything else. Also used in failover situation)
Thanks in advance for any recommendations!