We have been using Meraki for the last 5 years for firewall and most switches. We really like Meraki for its ease of manageability and quick and easy replacement. It has really let us keep our IT staff count low even though there is a cost premium, we feel we still come out ahead. We are looking at upgrading a few locations and maybe adding some. We are at 8 now and just adding another MX64 or MX84 would be the easy thing to do. There are some limitations with the firewalls that we’ve lived with and I’d like to see what else is out there that still provides:
- Central management of all Firewalls and switches
- Quick hardware replacement or cheap enough hardware to keep one on the shelf.
- Ability to have a lay-person install a replacement remotely (some of our campuses are quite far apart)
- Good performance! This is an issue we have run into with Meraki in that we have to buy a larger unit than we would like just to use the features we’ve paid for.
- Content/malware/av filtering
- Easy end user and site-to-site VPN setup (Meraki is only a 2 click setup for full mesh)
- Our only mission critical need is for streaming with Resi which is pretty forgiving but we have still had some issues with Meraki and some of the weird things it does.
- A good price point. Coming in at or below what the MX64 and MX84’s with Advanced Security License
If you have made the switch or are happy with your setup in a similar multi-site model, please let me know. Thanks!