EZCast or similar

I heard about EZCast Pro at a CITRT event and looking into it.

I have a chromecast at home and love it. Sounds like it generally doesn’t work in a public wifi type configuration, but EZCast Pro would?

I think my main question, which I’m having trouble figuring out: is any other special hardware needed or just the dongle? Sounds kinda like the dongle creates it’s own little wifi for purposes of connecting to it with whatever you’re casting from, right? So, if you have your phone or something on the guest network for internet and on this EZCast’s network, then you can stream to it just like you would a chromecast at home? Or, do you need to setup another wifi network for it to work?

Any other devices recommended?

Thanks!

1 Like

What is your end goal? do you need to have the device on the public network? I have mine on a ‘Production’ network which is isolated from my public network then I have the devices I cast from on the production network.

I also use AirParrot on my main computer to send slides to CC

Good question. Likely scenario… A teacher wants to show something to their class on a TV. It’s a video they have queued up on their phone. Rather than taking the time to find and hook up a laptop, login, find the video, etc. 'twould be nice if they could just plug this thing in to the TV and hit the cast button on their phone. But, their phone isn’t on our private network.

gotcha. I havn’t done this but I know that Chromecasts have a guest mode. which is supposed to allow for casting on different networks. I would assume you could also just connect cc or EZC and allow any guest to see it via ACL (access control lists) setup varies on network hardware.

Personally I find it more preferable to add teachers to the network that the casting devices are on, but that might be burdensome for larger churches?

I’ve done a lot of testing with the Airtame solution, and have found it to be a rock solid solution for cross-platform screen streaming.

The Airtame dongle contains two 802.11 radios, one 2.4 GHz and one 5.0 GHz. It has lots of configuration possibilities, but the simplest is that it creates its own WiFi access point that folks connect to in order to stream. Or you can have it join your wireless (or you can get an ethernet adapter if needed) LAN with one radio (and still offer “public” access via the other radio, if you want).

+1 for Airtame. Haven’t had it long but works well.