External Email notice

Right now we’re looking at having some kind of disclaimer at the top of emails that come from external sources, with other communication tools that we use and trusted addresses whitelisted. If you are doing this in your church, can you share what wording you’ve chosen for the disclaimer?

We have Office 365 and I have this appended to the top of all external emails and it’s in red so it will stand out:

External email - Use caution with links and attachments.

We use Google Suite, and have it add [EXT] to all external emails. I can send you screenshots of how to set it up if you or anyone using Google needs them.

Ours currently says
CAUTION: This email originated from outside of Kensington. Do not click links or open any attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. Please forward any suspicious content to [helpdesk email address]

I’ve been testing this image:

But it doesn’t really scale well so I’m thinking about truncating it to just have our logo & say External email and maybe change it up a bit based on holidays, etc to keep people looking at it not just ignoring it. I have some alt text for text only emails.

Do any of you find this to be annoying white-noise after awhile since in
the church setting staff are sending so many emails back and forth with
“external” volunteers? I’ve resisted implementing it because of this. Some
of our staffs’ email load is well over 50% external. Curious of your
thoughts…

Our external email disclaimer is shown below:

I change the message text and the formatting so people don’t become numb to the message.

This email is from an external sender. Take care when clicking links, opening attachments or responding.

That’s why I change it every few months.

The disclaimer is pretty standard practice now.

we just changed ours to this: https://rock.kensingtonchurch.org/Content/Email/KC%20External%20Emai-lg.svg

1 Like