Auto Discovery Asset App for Macs

We are a mac shop and I’m looking for an app that will auto discover our assets (laptops, desktops, printers). We don’t have active directory or anything like that. Low cost is good, free is better. Any suggestions?

I’m not sure if it fits or not, but Spiceworks does a ton of auto discovery, asset and ticket management and can see what’s installed on computers, etc. It identifies manufacturer and each asset item is easily edited. I’ve used it for several years at our church because of how easily I can get information and that it’s free. We’re a 50/50 Mac/Windows environment and do run AD, but I’ve used this because of all that it discovers for me. I always try to find a free option if I can first.

Thanks. I’ve taken a look at Spiceworks. It looks like it could work except its an .exe. I may give it a go using wine bottler.

I tried running SpiceWorks with wine/winebottler and it doesn’t seem to work very well. It doesn’t even load properly. I guess I’ll keep looking.

Spiceworks runs on a Windows “Server” and then probes the network from there.

There has been many Spiceworks requests to make it available on a Linux server, but they have never been able to get the Windows WMI call to work right. Even using something like WINE hasn’t quite worked right.
That being said Spiceworks should do exactly what you’re looking for.

I know we keep beating Spiceworks at you bro, sorry. I have been able to run it in a Windows 10 session in Parallels on my Mac if that helps at all. I can’t find a good free solution for you that runs on Linux or Mac though or I’d toss that at you. Hope you find a solution that works.