Setting up Cameras and Controller/Joystick over LAN. Help

Hello.

I am a college student working as an intern at Thrive Church in Camby, Indiana. Due to COVID-19, a lot of my job has been online communications and working with their new livestream system. We are a church plant that meets in a school, so we have to setup and teardown every week. I have loved it, but I have no background in technology, other than personal experience setting up televisions and such. I understand what is being plugged in and what it does, but I have come to a point that is beyond my understanding.

We don’t have access to the internet at the school, so we bring in our own hotspots that are dedicated only to running the livestream. We have two PTZOptics Cameras that are plugged into our livestream system. We have a remote control that works well with those cameras. We have a system that works.

We recently bought a controller with a joystick to better use our cameras. It requires a DHCP server to setup.

Right now, we plug this joystick into a switcher via ethernet cable. We then plug our cameras into the switcher via ethernet cable. What do I do from here? Do I need a router?

I think we need a router in order to do this, but I need an opinion that knows more than me.

This is what the switcher is called:

NETGEAR 16-PORT GIGABIT ETHERNET UNMANAGED POE+ SWITCH WITH FLEXPOE (GS316P)

Can you manually set ip addresses on the controller? I am not familiar with those as we had analog controller in the past and now we use digital ptz.

Hello Drew.

Your hotspot should function like the router assigning IP addresses to the devices. You can consider manually assigning IP addresses to the cameras and controller if you want to make it easier to manage. You can change the IP addresses within the devices but ensuring they are within the subnet of the hotspot (eg. 192.168.1.X etc):

If router is 192.168.1.1 then
Controller - 192.168.1.2
PTZOptics Camera 1 - 192.168.1.3
PTZOptics Camera 2 - 192.168.1.4
Do note that Gateway will be 192.168.1.1
DNS Server 192.168.1.1
Subnet 255.255.255.0

To make it easier for the team to setup, you can color/number label the devices, wires and ports.

Network guy here… You don’t specifically need a router; you do need some sort of DHCP server, at least to get the PTZ cameras and controller up on the same network and automatically addressed, where you then could manually re-assign the equipment “static” IP addresses. If as Norman said, the hotspot you are using acts as a DHCP server, then you are set. if not, it’s pretty easy to get a DHCP server running on a laptop or PC; you’ll just plug that into the Netgear, and it will provide the IP addressing for the rest of the equipment.

For macOS; https://www.swissns.ch/site/2014/05/running-mac-os-xs-built-in-dhcp-server/
For Windows: https://www.dhcpserver.de/cms/

Let us know how you make out.