Propresenter 6 and Windows 10

(MATTHEW OBRIEN) #1

I just built a new PC to replace a late 2013 iMac. I went with an i7 and a 1060 GTX graphics card and 16GB ram.

Propresenter is very buggy and doesn’t respond quite often. It chops up the video and responds very slowly to text searchs.

I know it’s only running 32bit, but there is plenty of RAM for it to use… Is there anything I can do to make this run more reliably?

Microsoft PowerPoint for Classroom Presentations?
(Alex Conner) #2

The problem with building a machine instead of buying one off the shelf is the money you aren’t spending up front, you’ll be spending on doing the integration work yourself. Make sure all you drivers, firmwares, BIOSes, OS, ProPresenter, etc. are all up to date, and start with validating the machine works properly otherwise. The normal culprits, Cinebench, Realbench, Unigen Heaven & see if you results match what others get with those components. Make sure your memory speeds are correct, and that you don’t have any bad parts. The last one the only way I’ve been able to test is with another whole machine’s worth of parts…

It sounds like either you have Bad RAM, a motherboard issue, a disk controller issue, a disk firmware issue or a bad disk or cable.

(Andy Baker) #3

Hi Matthew,
I beefed up one of my ProPresenter 6 Windows machines with 16 GB RAM, a GTX 1030, and an SSD. I get complaints that PP6 is slow to load, and slow when searching for files to pull into the library. Alex recommended some good points about updates to machine and PP6.
Renewed Vision also recommends this setting for choppy video if you have an NVidia graphics card.

I checked it in my settings, and this setting was already off.
In my experience, ProPresenter seems to function better on a Mac.

(MATTHEW OBRIEN) #4

Thanks for the reply.

Every other program I’ve thrown at this build runs flawlessly. All my
drivers are up to date, and I have no bloatware, or other programs running
in the background. The most the graphics card and processor have been
taxed running PP is 7% while using virtually no memory <4GB.

I will check another machine to compare.

Thanks

(Brad Crawley) #5

I’ve always found the windows version of PP6 to be flaky. It runs solid on any Mac I’ve ever used. Even 7-8 year old iMacs.

(MATTHEW OBRIEN) #6

The iMac I am replacing wouldn’t run live video and lower thirds without
locking up, even though Renewed Vision assured me it would…

(Dave Mackey) #7

FYI, there is a newish problem appearing with PP6 and Windows 10. Basically it prompts one to overwrite existing image files and once this is done (or skipped) the UI freezes. Renaming

C:\ProgramData\RenewedVision Media\Images

to

C:\ProgramData\RenewedVision Media\ImagesOld

seems to resolve the issue (PP6 recreates the folder). See RenewedVision User Forum thread here.

(Andy Baker) #8

Thanks Dave, I’ll pass this along to my AVL guys. Good find!

(Szabolcs Zsoldos) #9

Also from my experience, ProPresenter does not offer a trustworthy experience on Windows.
I’ve installed it on a performant PC with 32GB of RAM and a ridiculously powerful graphics card, the software is not working as expected, laggy, unexpected crashes, at least once a week. Stage display is very buggy.

(Dave Mackey) #10

This past Sunday I had a simultaneous crash and burn of ProPresenter on four different computers…So it is either back to Macs or away from ProPresenter in the classrooms we go. Two of the machines that crashed were brand new, I’d run through complete tests just two days before. Acers with Windows 10, 8 GB RAM, and 2 GB dedicated nvidia video cards.

The two Acers would just stop playing videos after 3 seconds! No apparent reason, rest of computer worked fine. Opened videos in VLC fine, in ProPresenter, no luck.

I had hoped to make PP work with Windows systems, but I’m giving up. This is the last in a long series of problems on the Windows side (and they haven’t been entirely absent on the Mac side either)!

(Norman Ho) #11

Anyone tried OpenLP on Windows?

https://openlp.org/

(Szabolcs Zsoldos) #12

Yes, it performs well on low spec PC’s and also on high end PC’s.
It is a stable software with very basic functionalities.
The problem with it is that it lacks media management. You dont have the ease that you have in ProPresenter when it comes to slides and modifying them. Every time you want to change some design element for a slide, you have to change the whole theme that is assigned to it, then reload the item into service.
All in all, it is great for starting out when you’re on a small budget, maybe the best of freewares.
After this I would recommend Proclaim.