OneDrive for Business Monitoring

I am planning to implement OneDrive on all our user machines. I have done it on my machine to test and last Friday, 374 decided to identity a OneDrive file as a trojan and caused the OneDrive app to stop working. That means, if I had finally not noticed and my hardrive failed, I would have lost data.

We currently use file servers for desktop machine and crashplan for laptops so if backups fail, I know it.

Is there anyway to know if clients are failing to sync to OneDrive? Google searches are not giving me much hope.

When OneDrive fails to sync, I get enough warnings to drive me crazy. Wouldnā€™t your users just bug you to death?

Because the Onedrive app just shut down (because an important file was quarantined), it never even tried to sync. The only clue I had was losing all the little green check marks on files. No way users are gonna notice that.

This is one of the critical failings Iā€™ve seen with the OneDrive app. I am unaware of any built-in method of monitoring it, and would consider that the first point against using it as a backup replacement.

That said, in this regard itā€™s no worse than Offline Files.

Anyone looked at o365 Manager Plus? Looks like I could get a report of what files were touched. That may be a start to know who is not syncing.

Craig, we arenā€™t actively using OneDrive yet but I had the same experience with ThirtySeven4 and submitted quarantines to them so they could investigate it. What have you done to repair or replace the OneDrive program files 37-4 removed? Just copy them from an ā€˜un-repairedā€™ client?

You can actually go into the client and restore and whitelist the file. After doing that, I just restarted OneDrive.

This is the next challenge Iā€™ve presented to our team to solve as well. Our stance is that we have the same risk here as Offline Files which often fail in a similar, silent manner. But I share your concerns on HOW to monitor the ODFB client. So far weā€™re just in the drawing board stages of this. But I suspect weā€™ll have a combination of process checks (is the ODFB process running) along with some type of ODFB log check or timestamp monitoring. Iā€™m really hoping weā€™ll find some type of activity log we can monitor which would make this MUCH easier and reliable. If/when we solve this problem Iā€™ll try to remember to share back here.

1 Like

How about a powershell script run from a scheduled task to check the OneDrive process is running?

Since topics lock after 14 days you might not be able to post back here. But if you figure something out I would sure appreciate knowing how.

I havenā€™t yet looked at o365 Manager Plus, but I have added it to my ā€œto-doā€ list to check out soon.

I thought about recommending students at our school use onedrive so they have access to their files no matter which computer they used. However, I have seen some serious bugs with OneDrive that has caused me to loose work, and this has happened to my Boss as well.

Just loaded up O365 Manager Plus. It is pulling in sync data. However, I do not see anything yet to alert you if someone has not synced in so many days. But it is a start.

This is an issue we are interested in as well. Weā€™re finding the OD client in various states on various client PCā€™s and Mac. Sometimes ā€œprocessing changesā€ā€¦ sometimes not running at all. We are looking for a way to make sure the client is always running if for some reason it quits or stops. Would love to hear about any solutions you have come across!

1 Like

So I have had the O365 Manager Plus loaded. I sent a request for an alert if a user has no OnDrive sync activity after a certain amount of time.

They just emailed me to say this feature is scheduled to be added Min January 2018. This may be the solution we need!