Office 365 - license ideas for sound booth computer?

Hi, my small church has been using Office 365 for Nonprofits for the last couple of years, and it has made life so much easier for us. In the middle of sorting out livestreaming etc., we have a need to use PowerPoint on our new sound booth computer. It also needs access to file storage, ideally SharePoint. Unfortunately, since the sound booth is run by volunteers, I’m not sure what options are available, since nonprofit licenses are supposed to be for staff only.

Here’s what I’d like to do, in a perfect world:

• Sound booth computer with desktop version of PowerPoint
  • Access to a “tech team” group with SharePoint storage
  • No access to email or to OneDrive/SharePoint storage that other staff members have access to (this is why I’m hesitant just to use our office administrator’s account)
  • Email address for sound booth (optional)

Any creative ideas on how to (legally) proceed?

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

Our standard is to still purchase volume license copies of office via techsoup for install on shared machines like this. Makes it much easier to deal with challenges like this.

There is a volunteer license you can purchase. It’s affordable. Look in the billing section.

The AV booth tends to be as volunteer as you can get so, like Travis points out, licensing the machine is generally the way to go. Snag Office 2019 licenses off of TechSoup for that. For Sharepoint online, the only licensing I’m aware of is per user, but Azure AD tends to permit 5 guest users per licensed user so you can setup a Team and do guest access for volunteers: Guest access in Microsoft Teams - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs

Ahhh OK. There was confusion on my part about the difference between donation licenses and discount licenses. Now I’ve got it worked out…we can have a “tech team” account on the sound board computer using a discount license.

Thank you so much for your help!

Not quite… technically you need a valid user license for every person that uses an M/O365 feature be it Sharepoint, Teams, Exchange, so on and so forth. So you either need to create each volunteer a separate user and license each of them using a discount license OR invite them as guests because at minimum you should have 10 M365 licenses so you can invite 50 guests. If you’re ever in any in-person training with Microsoft they’ll hammer on this point repeatedly: each rear end that sits down at the computer to use stuff from your O365 tenant needs their own license, more than one rear end can’t share a license.

Thanks for that clarification. I think we can find a way to make that sort of setup work.