New Low(er) cost HDMI over IP option

Hey Guys!

I figured I would throw this up.

We are pretty big users of JustAddPower devices around here. Honestly, we love them, but that doesn’t make them perfect. With no built in grouping (need to do that with VLANs) and with a cost of ~700$/pc they have their downsides.

That is why I am very optimistic about Hall Research’s new HDMI over LAN products.

These units are supposed to retail for <400$/pc for their POE powered versions.

They will have built in grouping (!!!) web management per-endpoint as well as a windows controller to assign source/destination presets network-wide.

In short, this could be a game changer if it does what it says on the tin.

First one to get one in their hands I’d love to know more.

• Karl P
1 Like

Wow cool. Those do point to multipoint. We are building a new building and are going to have 26 TVs in it, and need the ability to send video to any one of them from a few different sources. This looks like a good solution.

@tylerturner We put in a whole set of SVSi devices in partnership with Harvest Productions (located in Kansas City). Its an Any to Any system. SVSi is a bit on the pricier side, but it did exactly what we needed it to do with only a little configuration. All the devices run on their own VLAN. You’ll want the N2000 series, as the N1000 is designed for in room distribution. They also have the N3000 series for WAN distribution. I’d be glad to talk to you about it if you want.

A client of mine also has the SVSi system, the N3000 series. They said
it was WAN friendly, but it barely works on our LAN reliably and Comcast
limits our MPLS to 300 packets per second multicast so I’m not holding
my breath ;-).

I still wasn’t going to carry the something crazy like 600Mbit/sec over
our converged network 24/7.

I would never use the N3000 for WAN delivery. They say it works but we don’t have a need for it and I don’t think it’s the best solution for that.

I think the biggest advantage is since it’s h264 already you could pipe
it straight to a Wowza type system for further distribution and that
would probably work great and reduce the amount of different encoders in
the mix. But again, the low-latency optimization of the N3000 encoder
means you don’t get really great bit for quality efficiency so I’m just
glad I’m carrying the 1080p stream internally at 12 Mbps instead of 600.