HP Procurve Core Switch

Hey guys,

Looking for recommendations for HP Procurve/Aruba Core Switch. We are upgrading what we consider our Core Switch: all servers connected, acting as router (multiple VLANs), link to firewall, etc. This is currently an HP 2900 48G with 10GB backbone. I’m in the process of doing the research but wanted to see what you HP Procurve guru’s recommend.

A little bit about our network: VMware Essentials Plus shop with three host HA. Running approximately 30 VMs across these three hosts for everything from Exchange, SQL, MP, WSUS, Terminal Servers, Financial Edge, etc. LAN side multiple Gig interfaces (per host) goes to Core Switch… SAN side is an EqualLogic Array with dedicated dual switches. In addition to this setup, we have a physical dell server with md1200 DAS for file storage, IP-PBX, Ruckus Wireless Controller, and Barracuda Web Gateway that land to the core, and then hit our Cisco ASA for Internet and site-to-site VPN. We have 16 other switches on the main campus that make their way back to the Core, either directly or by stacking to another that is direct.

Thanks for you help, and suggestions. It’s great to have a community to bounce ideas off when making critical purchases.

Thanks!
Cisco

What do you need the core to do that it currently doesn’t do? The 2920 is fairly capable, so upgrading from there starts to look at chassis models if the 3000s models don’t have what you need.

Thanks for your reply. Our 2900 is actually an older model, J9050A. It’s feature-set as a core switch is limited. We purchased these back in 2009, and have had a few fail last year. Although HP’s limited lifetime warranty replaced them, I want to get ahead of the curve on the core switch.

In my research I’m looking at the 3810 and the 5820. Any recommendations of what you are using as a core for an HP shop?

Thanks all!