Free IT customer service training

I didn’t know where else to post this. Perhaps a “professional development” or “continuing education” topic would have been better…

After getting screamed at over the phone by a user for 30 minutes a couple of years ago I decided to get some customer service training. We are a niche audience in the customer service game. There aren’t may resources for the IT industry. I found Don Crawley, author of the “Compassionate Geek.” I was lucky to attend one of his sessions where I learned all of the mistakes I’d made during the user’s tirade in my desperation to get off the phone.

I regularly listen to Don’s podcast. Today I discovered he is offering free training. If you are interested, the link is: https://www.doncrawley.com/free-book/

I feel more confident because of the training although I continue to listen to the podcast because I’m not sure I’ll ever trust my new found skills. (Later that year, I also learned some skills for staying calm in stressful situations from the most unlikely of sources – an episode of the Dog Whisperer. There is not much difference between a screaming user and a barking dog. Eventually they both tire themselves out if you wait patiently and calmly.)

As for my relationship with this user, she hasn’t changed but I’m working on changing my reaction to her. For the longest time her name on my caller ID would make me physically shake. Now I’m calmer but also prepared.

I agree, I enjoy Don’s Compassionate Geek podcast, especially that it’s usually around 5 minutes long (since I listen to so many, short is good). Not always new info but definitely good reminders even if you already know the basics. I have contemplated making it required listening in our office, though we have good techs that generally do a great job with this stuff so it hasn’t been a major issue (thankfully), but I revisit the idea occasionally :slight_smile:

I need to check out that Dog Whisperer episode…do you have a link to the specific episode? Thanks for the share!

I will find the episode and get back to you. He covers it in several videos but there are a couple that gave me “ah ha” moments.

It’s always a little tricky to remember, but yeah, we’re all in customer service at some point in time during our day. Try and keep the users in mind, but remember to take care of yourself too!

Thanks for the resource, i’m going to check it out.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.