Data Storage / Policies for Video?

We have a lot of video and are the amount of video grows exponentially. I’m wondering how folks are handling this? Some of these files are around 150 GB!

With the lower costs of disk, throwing more disk at the problem for archival storage is a possibility, but what about backups/disaster recovery? Moving terabytes of data across the public internet is really not a pleasant experience.

What do you have for primary storage? Do you have rules/policies in place for what is stored and for how long? What about for backups?

Any insights here are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave

We use a Qnap TS-879U-RP NAS for media files, about 12TB of space. We do not have a backup option yet, but will look at drives that attach to the device. I would prefer something cloud based if possible, but nothing worked out yet.

• Greg
1 Like

This is what we currently use (I did not write it). This is basically what we follow, but we don’t really do the warm archive anymore. It goes straight to cold storage. We use 6tb hard drives as our cold storage.

Edit: Forgot to add, we use an HP file storage server as our primary file server. It has about 20TB usable space. We have a local backup and it replicates to our other site.

• 03 Archive Folder is the final place a series will end up prior to cold storage. The archive will store past series up to 13 months. This will be considered Hot storage as it will be immediately accessible. DATA HERE SHOULD NOT BE EDITED AS THIS IS NOT A WORKING FILE. This file is to be used as a reference as source material however changes should not be saved here.

• 01 Special Event Archive – This folder is for event data that happens once per year and is needed to be saved more than the 13-month schedule allows. This if for events like Leadership Summit, Easter or Christmas where the previous year’s file may be needed for source material for the next year. DATA HERE SHOULD NOT BE EDITED AS THIS IS NOT A WORKING FILE. This file is to be used as a reference as source material however changes should not be saved here.

• 02 Hot Archive – This File is the standard archive for series material after each series is ended. Series data will be moved here and will remain here for a period of no more than 13 months before being moved to cold storage. DATA HERE SHOULD NOT BE EDITED AS THIS IS NOT A WORKING FILE. This file is to be used as a reference as source material however changes should not be saved here.

• 03 Warm Archive – This file is the last stop for data after it has been on the drive for 13 months. If it is placed here then it is ready to be burned off of the M drive to the warm archive solution. Files will remain in the warm archive for 6 months then be moved to cold storage. This is a Complete archive of all content used each weekend and series.

• 04 Public Archive – This file is a special Matrix archive.

• Logos

• Title Slides

• Blueprints

• Matrix of the series

• Archived by Series

• Burned by series not by week

2 Likes

Thanks for the responses! Jesse - I really like your setup!